Monday, December 15, 2008

Storm Watch 2008

Living in LA can be a pain in the ass (aka traffic), but it can also be hilarious. Today's weather is a perfect example.

All it takes is a little sprinkle of precipitation in the air for the news channels to host special 10-15 minute segments on "Stormwatch 2008" as they track it's progress. I've lived in Southern California for the majority of my life and I still find this absolutely ridiculous. We get an inch of rain and all of a sudden there's mudslides, floodings, and people are lamenting to the news anchors about how they just can't wait for the storm to pass. It's just water, people! We get like 4 hours of rain a year! Enjoy it!

The other thing that is crazy to me about the rain is how all of a sudden people cannot drive. I mean, seriously, there is water on the ground and you are a bit more cautious. There is NO NEED to drop your speed from 35mph to 10mph.

When I was a kid and it rained, I used to love rainy day recess. I remember playing chinese jumprope under the overhangs next to my classroom and listen to the rain drop on the roof. But I don't have tons of rainy days memories because California is a desert! I love the rain because I don't experience it often. I also love it because rain in LA means snow in Mammoth. But I can almost guarantee you that if I lived in a rainy climate like Seattle, all it would take is a few days in a row of rain and I'd get depressed and want to move back to Ca. Either that or I'd move to the snow.

No comments: