Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Don't Stand So Close To Me

I'm a very social and outgoing person and I generally enjoy engaging in conversation with people who I don't know. However, when it comes to sitting on an airplane, I don't want anything to do with anyone. ESPECIALLY if the person is sitting next to me.

Planes are awkward. They're loud, uncomfortable, and the seats tend to invade my personal bubble. I also don't like talking to people because if you decide to start talking to someone, you feel obliged to continue awkward conversation for the duration of the flight. F that. I just want to put on my hoodie, lean my head against the window, and fall asleep.

Anyway- I was flying from Boston back to Los Angeles yesterday when the gentleman next to me kept trying to talk to me. I'm sure he found me interesting. I was reading and watching a movie (Shaun of the Dead- brilliant flick) at the same time. He kept wanting to ask me why. I didn't know why. I was just trying to divert my brain from the fact that I was on a plane. You see, if I'm not comatose on a plane I don't enjoy my flight all that much. I get antsy and bored. Then I get hungry. Then my tummy hurts from the icky plane food. Then I have to get up and go to the bathroom and I'm surely to bump someone's leg in the aisle along the way. The whole tight space thing, not my style. Being social on airplanes is not either.

I am going to speak in front of 120 people in two weeks. This will be my first public speaking event ever. As long as I'm not speaking on an airplane, I'll have nothing to worry about...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. where is said speaking event? I want to attend!

ash xo

Unknown said...

Amen! Airplane conversation does blow and I share the same desire, of which, I feel I've said almost verbatim. I always travel with a hoodie and I always put it on with my iPod rockin'.

On the contrary, you never know who might offer you the next awesome job. I've had a few of those conversations, but usually waiting to get onto the airplane. Too bad I never saw anything from all of those people who've promised jobs...Karma will get them by sitting next to an airplane 'nutcase'.

Collin-

Unknown said...

I understand what you mean about not wanting to talk to someone next to you on a plane. Sometimes though, you can learn amazing things from people. Much like doing things outside your comfort zone (like climbing Mt Whitney). Sometimes you should do the same with people on a plane that can offer you a few golden nuggets of life lessons. :-)