Thursday, June 25, 2009

Tribute to Michael Jackson



I remember being a kid and asking my parents "What was it like when John Lennon died? What were you doing?" I asked the same questions about Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin. They remembered what they were doing at that exact moment these rock icons passed away.

With music being as diversified as it is today, I always wondered which musician would die during my lifetime and leave a profound impact on my generation. I remember Jerry Garcia dying years ago and being mildly affected. But it hit me today with Michael Jackson. I was at Kate Mantilini for lunch with my co-workers. It was a great lunch. We're a tight group and really look out for each other. As we're walking out, we see on the news that MIchael Jackson had been rushed to the hospital and was reported to not be breathing. My first reaction was "oh, shit" but I didn't really think anything would happen to him. I figured he'd go to the hospital and be fine. I didn't want to believe TMZ when they were the first news source to report him as dead. But when LA Times confirmed it, I knew it was for real.

I remember being in 4th grade and driving in my dad's mini van listening to "Dangerous" on repeat. He never ever changed the CD's that were in his car and this one and Elton John were staples. I loved the song "Black or White" and I was so in love with Micauly Culkin's lines in the beginning of the song - "Dad, hold on! This is the best part!" That was so me as a kid and I loved it.

So many of his songs were just so seamlessly interwoven into my life I just really had no idea how wide his impact was on pop culture. Thriller was big when I was in diapers, but it was a must at any halloween party. "Man in the Mirror" made me want to have a positive impact on society. Seriously,it did. "Beat It" "Rock With You" and "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" are songs expected to hear on a dance floor during a night out. And "Smooth Criminal" was a catchy tune that I remember getting even more into once Alien Ant Farm covered it. "Billie Jean" was a timeless classic. So many of his songs were just that - timeless classics.

I know he had his troubles in the limelight for liking boys, and what not, but it never undermined his tremendous musical talent. It will not be forgotten. I will always remember this day - hearing words about Michael Jackson's death on TMZ, not wanting to believe it, and then having to sit through an hour long meeting while I desperately wanted to check the news and see what's going on. I am proud of our staff for getting information on MJ's death posted quickly and timely. Earlier today he had 60,000 plays and as I'm writing his he currently has over 3mm plays on MySpace.

So, in honor of today's mark on history, here is my Tribute to MJ playlist on MySpace Music:

Tribute to MJ playlist by Lindsay

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It not so.

Anonymous said...

I can not participate now in discussion - it is very occupied. I will return - I will necessarily express the opinion.

Anonymous said...

In it something is. Many thanks for the information. You have appeared are right.