Monday, January 08, 2007

Men and Motorcycles

When I was younger my dad rode a motorcycle. I was never allowed to ride on it, but one time my dad snuck me on his motorcycle and drove me down the street to a friend's house. I was going to a slumber party and I had strapped my Cabbage Patch sleeping bag onto the back of his bike. I was eight and scared for my life, but I guess it was kind of cool.

Aside from my one fond memory, I've never been a fan of motorcycles. I actually have an intense dislike for motorcycles. As a kid, my dad would leave early in the morning with his friends and be gone all day. My mom was always worried sick when he'd go out on his rides. This was before the days of cell phones so she'd never know when he was going to come home. A lot of times she was afraid for his life on that damn thing, and it freaked me out too. It took two of his friends being killed in motorcycle accidents for my dad to finally hang up his leather coat and sell his motorcycle. We were all very happy he was over that phase of his life.

Now I'm older and I still don't fully understand what the obsession is with motorcycles is. They are dangerous and scary. But what I do know is that it's definitely a guy thing. Guys who ride motorcycles are typically known as "bad boys" or "men who like to live on the edge." They're rugged, rebels, and tend to often be understood. Or that's what the movies tell us to believe.

I have found this stereotype to be true, as all the men I know who currently have a motorcycle tend to fall into this category. I also tend to be attracted to this sort of bad boy. I'm not gonna lie: I love the dark, deeply misunderstood bad boy. I heart him. I love the way they park their bike, take off their helmet, and shake out their sexy, messed up moto hair. I should probably stay away from these types of boys, but currently they are pulling me in. Damn you, motorcycles! You need to be banned from California streets!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i too do not understand why motorcycles are so attractive, oops i mean the boys that ride them! haha but for now, i will let them rule the streets because they are hot!

Jonny said...

My Mom would never let me have a motor bike.

a) She was an ER nurse and had seen what a car or tree or road sign could do to the human body when it was travelling quite fast and protected only by a bit of leather or denim

and

b) I never really had the hair for it.

Also, if we're being honest, most songs about motorcycles and/or motor cycle bad boys are pretty shit really.

I'll give credit though to the Manic Street Preachers for the epic and beautiful "Motorcycle Emptiness."