Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Tom Watch, Day 2

I've now officially been at The Space for two full days. Still, no sight of Tom. His name was mentioned in a meeting yesterday and my ears perked up. No Tom. Today I was given a tour of the second floor and Tom's area pretty much has its own receptionist and bodyguard. He also has like, four assistants. I have seen them, but not him. I have also been secretly hoping to brush elbows with him by the water cooler. Still no luck.

I told my supervisor and some colleagues today that I thought Tom was fictional. They all gasped and were silent. Ten minutes later, my boss pulls me aside and says "Can you come with me for a second?" He said it kind of quietly, so here I am thinking he's either reprimanding me or he's taking me to meet the man himself, Mr. Tom. Since it's only my second day and there's not much to screw up, I figured it was the latter. I was so excited my face turned red. Tom Tom. The founder himself in the flesh. Like, whoa.

Instead, I was taken into a supply room. This room was filled with swag. T-shirts, hats, posters. You name it, it was in there. I was allowed to take whatever I wanted. Normally this awesome act of kindness would have thrilled me. And the thought of doing all my christmass shopping in this room was ever so tempting. However, I couldn't help but feel a slight bit of disappointment. I thought I was meeting Tom, and all I got was a lousy sweatshirt.

Oh well, there's always tomorrow. And the next day. And the next day after that.

To Be Continued...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha i love this blog! i love reading your thoughts day to day! i'm very much looking forward to seeing you and maybe meeting Tom myself one of these days...say at a Space Party, maybe I can be your guest?? haha...(pause)....NOT! actually that would be pretty cool! lets go to all you can eat sushi when i get back! -Astric